Classic American Goulash Recipe: A Hearty Blend of Ground Beef, Pasta, and Tomatoes
American Goulash is a classic comfort food that has been enjoyed by generations. This hearty dish originated in the United States and is known for its rich flavors and satisfying combination of ingredients. With its roots in Hungarian cuisine, American Goulash has evolved into a unique and beloved dish that is perfect for family dinners or cozy gatherings. The dish typically consists of ground beef, pasta, tomatoes, and a variety of seasonings. Its simplicity and versatility make it a staple in many American households. Whether you're looking for a quick weeknight meal or a comforting dish to warm your soul, American Goulash is sure to hit the spot.
Ingredients needed for American Goulash
To prepare a delicious American Goulash, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups of elbow macaroni or any other small pasta shape
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) of diced tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) of tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons of Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
These ingredients come together to create a hearty and flavorful dish that is perfect for a comforting meal.
Step-by-step instructions for preparing American Goulash
1. In a large pot, heat some oil over medium heat. Add diced onions and minced garlic, sauté until fragrant and translucent.
2. Add ground beef to the pot and cook until browned, breaking it up into small pieces with a wooden spoon.
3. Drain any excess fat from the pot.
4. Stir in diced tomatoes (with their juice), tomato sauce, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, and seasonings like paprika, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
5. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for about 20 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
6. Meanwhile, cook your choice of pasta according to package instructions until al dente.
7. Once the goulash has simmered for 20 minutes, stir in cooked pasta and let it simmer for an additional 5-10 minutes to allow the pasta to absorb some of the flavors.
8. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
9. Serve hot with a sprinkle of fresh parsley on top.
Enjoy this comforting and flavorful American Goulash!
Tips and variations for making American Goulash
Tips and Variations for Making American Goulash:
1. Add vegetables: Enhance the flavor and nutritional value of your goulash by adding diced bell peppers, onions, or carrots. These veggies will add a delightful crunch and vibrant colors to your dish.
2. Experiment with spices: While the classic goulash recipe calls for paprika, feel free to play around with other spices like cumin, chili powder, or even a dash of hot sauce for an extra kick. Adjust the amount according to your taste preferences.
3. Try different meats: Although ground beef is traditional, you can substitute it with ground turkey or chicken for a leaner option. You can also mix different types of meat together for a unique flavor profile.
4. Use different pasta shapes: While elbow macaroni is commonly used in goulash, you can switch it up by using other pasta shapes like rotini or penne. This will give your dish a different texture and appearance.
5. Add cheese: For an indulgent twist, sprinkle some grated cheddar or mozzarella cheese on top of your goulash before serving. The melted cheese will add richness and creaminess to every bite.
6. Make it spicy: If you enjoy heat, consider adding diced jalapenos or crushed red pepper flakes to your goulash. This will give it a fiery kick that will satisfy any spice lover's palate.
Remember, these tips are just suggestions; feel free to get creative and make this classic American dish truly your own!
Serving suggestions for American Goulash
Serving Suggestions for American Goulash:
American Goulash is a versatile and hearty dish that can be enjoyed in various ways. Here are some serving suggestions to enhance your dining experience:
1. Serve with a side of crusty bread: The rich flavors of the goulash pair perfectly with a slice of warm, crusty bread. Use it to soak up the delicious sauce and enjoy every last bit.
2. Top with shredded cheese: Sprinkle some shredded cheddar or mozzarella cheese on top of your goulash for an extra layer of creaminess and flavor. The melted cheese adds a delightful touch to this already satisfying dish.
3. Garnish with fresh herbs: Add a pop of freshness by garnishing your goulash with chopped parsley or basil. Not only does it add visual appeal, but it also brings a burst of herbal aroma to the dish.
4. Pair with a green salad: Balance out the richness of the goulash by serving it alongside a crisp green salad. The fresh greens provide a refreshing contrast and add some extra nutrients to your meal.
5. Enjoy as leftovers: American Goulash tastes even better the next day as the flavors have had time to meld together. Reheat it gently on the stovetop or in the microwave for a quick and satisfying meal.
Remember, American Goulash is a comforting and filling dish that can be enjoyed on its own or paired with other accompaniments. Get creative and find your favorite way to serve this classic recipe!
In conclusion, the Classic American Goulash recipe is a comforting and satisfying dish that has stood the test of time. With its hearty blend of ground beef, pasta, and tomatoes, it is a true crowd-pleaser. The simplicity of the ingredients and the ease of preparation make it a perfect weeknight meal option for busy families. The flavors meld together beautifully, creating a rich and flavorful sauce that coats every bite. Whether you stick to the classic recipe or add your own twist with different spices or vegetables, American Goulash is sure to become a favorite in your household. So gather your ingredients and get ready to enjoy this timeless comfort food!
Published: 07. 12. 2023